O.K it isn’t the donkwa you are used to, made with roasted milled corn and peanuts.
This is a low carb substitute, using almond flour and coconut flour instead.
Growing up my grandma loved bringing these spicy
and sweet snacks when she visited. Always a treat to look forward to and her visit of course.
Donkwa also known as tanfiri is a popular snack in Nigeria
This recipe requires no cooking process, i toasted the almond flour and coconut flour until it turned brown,
this helps bring out the oil and nutty flavour from the almond nuts.
This is a great snack to try out, spicy, nutty and sweet flavours.
- 150 Grams Almond flour
- 60 Grams coconut flour
- 1 Tablespoon Dry pepper ( cayenne pepper )
- 1 Tablespoon sweetener erythritol or xylitol
- 1 Teaspoon ginger powder ( optional)
- 2 Tablespoon water for binding
- 1 Teaspoon oil for binding
1. Add coconut flour and almond flour in a dry frying pan and cook until it’s golden brown, let it cool.
2. Add dry pepper, ginger powder and sugar , almond / coconut flour mix and blend in a blender until smooth. Transfer to a bowl
3. Gradually add water and oil to help bind mix and make round balls with your hands. Do not add too much water to the mix it will turn soggy.
4. It makes six balls, you can make smaller balls if you prefer, leave in a cool dry place for a few minutes to set properly.
Enjoy with a small glass of almond milk with a pinch of ginger and cinnamon powder.